Monday, March 14, 2011

Oatmeal of the day

Toward the middle of each month, I get cheap and decide to see how long I can go before I need to go grocery shopping. Obviously I always have to get milk and bananas, seeing as how we eat 12-16 bananas A WEEK around here, but that is usually just a quick mid-week trip to Whole Foods. For anything else, I dig into the freezer or pantry and see what I can come up with.

We eat a lot of oatmeal for this reason. Long ago I published my recipe for baked oatmeal, which is so easy and awesome that I'll do it again. And I've since learned of some fun substitutions to keep it new and fresh and therefore avoid having it thrown at my head with Liam yelling, Oatmeal? Again??

Regular Recipe

Dry: 2 cups oats, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 cup brown sugar
Wet: 1 cup milk, 1 beaten egg, 2 tbsp. oil, 1/2 cup applesauce

Mix each separately, then together. Add raisins or another fruit. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Easy peasy.

Ways I shake it up...use mashed banana instead of applesauce. Oh my, they love that, especially with blueberries. Use any fruit, really. Today I added some almond extract to my wet mix and threw in frozen raspberries at the end. I plan to garnish with sliced almonds.

The possibilities? Endless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now I'm hungry.