Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Lazy

Today I decided to keep Liam home from school because his cough (likely the source of G's croup) has been lingering, and he was exhibiting general crankiness. So we've spent the whole day at home, with no agenda, nothing to do. It's actually been a great day. I finished one book (Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison--loved it) and have started another (The Guinea Pig Diaries, or My Life as an Experiment by A.J. Jacobs). Liam and I have colored, done some puzzles, and I've been giving into Grady's every book request...he often just walks up to you, hands you a book and plops in your lap. Then you have to read the book half a dozen times.

Mitten Strings has really gotten me thinking about our over-scheduled lives, so this day has been an experiment in just chilling out with my kids. I'm sure I'll have more of this to report this month. I started the day out with one of my new favorite easy recipes, Baked Oatmeal:

Oven at 350

Mix 2 cups old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup raisins, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/3 cup brown sugar in a bowl. In another bowl, beat one egg, add 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup applesauce, and 2 tbsp. oil. Mix together and add to dry mix. Put in a greased 8x8 pan and bake for 25 minutes. Serve with more milk.

So yummy and easy. Sometimes I substitute mashed bananas for the applesauce and other fruit (like blueberries) for the raisins. Just as delicious!

As I'm typing this, G is handing me book after book. Time to go read Goodnight Moon for the 10th time today!

No comments: