Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Birthday musings

Looking over my older posts, I realized that the last time I wrote anything on this blog was St. Patrick's Day, almost a year ago. I mentioned that the boys were wearing their matching t-shirts and that we were headed over to see Mark's grandma later that day. Looking back, it was a blessing that we visited her, as she died less than 2 weeks later. Mom Amick, as she was called by many, was 94 and one of the most fiesty women I've ever encountered. I was thinking of her tonight, at the dinner table with Mark's parents, the kids, and her baby sister, Aunt Anne (age 88).

Today I was on the way to Liam's school with a cake to celebrate his birthday with his classmates and there was a moment when I was in total disbelief...is this my life? Am I really 35? Am I really enough of a "grown-up" to be taking treats to my child's school? I swear just yesterday I was 22. Some of this might have come from spending the weekend with old friends, who somehow make it seem like no time has passed. But some days I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I am grown, that I am responsible for other lives. It seems surreal. Everyone always says it goes so fast, that you never feel your age. And I can't help think about Mom Amick again, wondering if at 94, she looked around at all of us and wondered how the hell she got to be there. I'll bet she still felt 22, too.

No comments: