Sunday, January 09, 2011

Carnitas

We haven't been eating a whole lot of meat the last year or so, but when we do, I do it right. Today we're having some friends over for dinner, and I'm making Carnitas. Traditionally, Carnitas is pork shoulder that is slow roasted and then deep fried (delicious, of course), usually in lard. Since that is a bit out of my league, I have found a (somewhat) healthier alternative...slow roast the meat and then broil it in the oven to create the crispiness that usually comes from the fryer.

First I cut the meat into fist-sized pieces. Then I create a dry rub with brown sugar, dry mustard, coriander, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Rub this in to all sides of each piece of meat, and then brown the pork in a dutch oven. I used a little bacon fat today, since I had it in the fridge...you could use olive or veggie oil as an alternative. So brown all the meat, perhaps in batches, and then set on a plate. Use a couple cups of chicken stock to deglaze the pan, drop in a couple bay leaves and then place the pork back in the dutch oven. Put in the oven at 300 degrees for at least 3 hours, if not 4-5.

Once the pork is fall-apart tender, use a slotted spoon to pull the pork out of the pan and onto a cookie sheet. Mix some of the juices in the with meat, but leave most of it in the pan. It's really fatty and you don't need it...the flavor is there, believe me.

Broil the meat for a couple minutes in the oven and serve with rice, beans, tortillas...whatever you choose. I like to make a corn and black bean salad to serve with mine.

This is my last date with meat for a while. You'll hear more about it in the upcoming days, tomorrow I am beginning the three day phase in for the Master Cleanse, which I am doing with a fellow yoga teacher buddy starting Thursday. Good times.

Until then, Carnitas and margaritas for me! Ole!

No comments: