Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cloth Diapers

By writing this post, I am committing myself to the fact that I am going to switch from disposable to cloth diapers, both for Liam and new baby. I wanted to do it with Liam from the get-go, but I fell into the easiness of disposables, and never really looked back. Now I've determined that it will save us $1500-$2000 over the next couple years to cloth diaper, so I'm taking the plunge. Plus, Molly sent me several to get me started with the new baby.

For those of you that think I'm crazy (I know you are out there), it's actually gotten a lot easier since to cloth diaper than when we were kids. There are so many different types to choose from...it's not your basic prefolded diaper anymore. The real issue is that there are so many options. It is unbelieveably overwhelming to decide which brand/method/type of diaper I'm going to use. I ordered a variety pack from Cottonbabies.com and have spent countless hours reading review after review on Diaperpin.com to decide which ones to go with. It is so confusing that I'm not even going to include Mark in the decision until I've made it. For that he is, of course, grateful.

So, I've received my variety pack in the mail. Monday I'm going to pick up some basic pre-folds and covers from our local natural parenting store, and I'm going to experiment on Liam and get this down before new baby arrives. As I said before, just writing about it means I'm committed, so I've got to stick to my plan!

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated...except if you tell me that I shouldn't do it. I won't like that. :)

3 comments:

Julie P. said...

i could never do this myself, but god bless ya for helping save our environment!! my SIL linda used cloth and may have some tips.

so is liam in the cloth diapers now? how is that going??

Unknown said...

dude, it is beyond easy. if we did it with both of us working and not having a dryer and our washing machine not even being in the house, anyone can do it. you'll wish you done it long ago.

Jessie T. said...

I am so excited that you are doing this--I want to use cloth diapers when we have a kid too, so you can give me lots of good advice!

Been enjoying the blog!